What Should I Do If I’m Hit by an Uninsured Driver?

Call (800) 863-5312 for Your Free Legal Consultation

In every state, drivers are required to have auto insurance policies in effect before they get behind the wheel of a car or other vehicle. These auto insurance policies are designed to provide monetary compensation to individuals who are injured or property owners whose property is damaged by the policyholder’s careless or negligent driving behavior.

Auto insurance policies protect policyholders from having to shoulder the financial burden for injuries and expenses that a crash victim has suffered. Despite the benefits of auto insurance and the legal penalties for driving without sufficient coverage, there are still drivers on Arizona roadways who either do not have enough insurance coverage or any insurance coverage at all.

If you or a loved one has been injured by an uninsured driver, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with an experienced Phoenix car accident attorney.

Who Pays When You’re Hit by an Uninsured Motorist?

Arizona is considered a “fault-based” state, meaning that a driver who causes a car crash because he or she is driving negligently is responsible for compensating the victim or victims for any expenses or losses they incurred. Even if the at-fault driver is uninsured, he or she would still be responsible for satisfying this legal obligation. Unfortunately, this often does not happen because:

  • The uninsured motorist flees the scene of the crash, referred to as a “hit-and-run” collision, making it nearly impossible to identify the at-fault party in order to initiate a lawsuit against him or her; or
  • The uninsured motorist does not have the financial resources to compensate the victim for his or her losses. Because some car crash victims may incur thousands of dollars in expenses and losses, even uninsured motorists who are gainfully employed may not be able to compensate the victim more than a small fraction of the victim’s total losses.

The sad truth is that in many cases, the victim of a car wreck involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist is required to find some way to pay his or her medical bills and other losses.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Arizona drivers can protect themselves by purchasing underinsured motorist and uninsured motorist coverage policies as part of their auto insurance. For an additional premium, these policies provide drivers with a source of monetary compensation in the event that they are injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

This can be quite helpful to car wreck victims who may need money and resources quickly following a crash in order to pay for medical bills, rent or mortgage payments, food and gas, and other similar expenses. In many cases, these policies would not preclude the injured motorist from pursuing additional compensation through a car wreck lawsuit if the identity of the at-fault and uninsured motorist is known.

Do I Need an Attorney to Help with an Uninsured Motorist Claim?

If you have uninsured motorist coverage, Zinda Law Group can assist you in submitting the records and documents you need in order to properly submit your claim. Our firm can also help you if your insurance company is delaying the payment of your claim or has denied your claim altogether. Moreover, we can investigate the circumstances and facts of your crash and file a lawsuit against the at-fault party to help you pursue the maximum amount of compensation. Our talented legal team is committed to helping you and your family successfully travel through the recovery process and get back to as normal of a life as possible.

To learn more about your legal rights and how Zinda Law Group can help you, call us today at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with a Phoenix car accident lawyer. Meetings with attorneys by appointment only.